Hardwood floors are popular and in demand, maintenance though could be tricky. Keeping it polished and shiny, free of dirt and grime is a tough job. Getting a vacuum cleaner could complete the task effortlessly than using a broom. It could provide more and better cleaning power. Hardwood vacuum cleaners are designed to be gentler on wood surfaces compared with regular vacuums. These types of vacuum cleaners come with crevice tools for those hard to reach areas.
Types of Vacuum for Hardwood Floors
Upright Vacuums – are more affordable and can effectively clean hardwood floors, the only set back is that they weigh a lot more than other vacuums therefore not that easy to maneuver.
Canister Vacuums – are lightweight and portable, they are easier to operate and maneuver. They are perfect for cleaning stairs, under furniture and cabinets.
Stick vacuums – are also lightweight and portable and can easily fit under cabinets and furniture.
Bagless Vacuums – these vacuums have the edge when it comes to collecting, they are equipped with built-in bin instead of a disposable bag. The only disadvantage though when emptying the dirt bin, dust and pet hair cling to the bins and can be quite a chore to do so.
Choosing the Best Vacuum for Hardwood Floors
If you’re planning on purchasing a vacuum cleaner for your hardwood floor, you’ll discover that the market has a variety of brands and models to choose from. The perfect hardwood floor vacuum for you is the one that would suit your needs. You’ll need to consider a few important factors when trying to choose the best vacuum for you.
- Choose a vacuum that’s either brushless or has a brush-roll off switch. These types of vacuum won’t scratch or damage your hardwood floors.
- Hardwood floor vacuums usually rely on suction power to clean. Make sure you choose a vacuum with a strong motor that would provide your needs.
- Vacuum cleaners equipped with better filters are highly recommended. If you or any member of your family suffers from allergies, choose the vacuum with HEPA filters because they have the highest levels of particle filtration.
- Some vacuum cleaners have disposable filters that you need to change every few months, others have lifetime filters that would need minimal maintenance, and you could rinse it every few months. Lifetime filters would be a better option; it would save you money since you do not have to replace your filters.
- Portability is also an important factor when choosing a vacuum cleaner. Cordless vacuum cleaners are also ideal provided they use Lithium ion batteries instead of Nickel Cadmium. Having extra batteries too would be an advantage.
- Most vacuums have cleaning attachments such as nozzles or crevice tools, attachments such as this one provide functionality to your machine, they help you reach corners and hard to reach spaces in between cushions.
- A stick vacuum can be a good choice if you want a machine that’s light and easy to use.
- Bagged vacuums are less mess when it’s time to empty the bag.
- Bagless vacuums on the other hand do not require replacing the bags but are messier when being emptied.
Top 5 Vacuums for Hardwood Floors
- Cordless Durable and Long Lasting (LINX) Lithium-Ion Battery System – operates using a long lasting interchangeable battery with and comes with a charger.
- Powered Brushroll (WindTunnel Technology) – very versatile and easy to transition from hard flooring to area rugs and low pile carpeting easily.
- Intuitive Power Controls – the power controls are very easy to operate because the brushroll on/off switch are placed strategically.
- Fuel Gauge – it has a fuel gauge that tells you when it’s time to change or charge the battery.
- Edge Cleaning Bristles – makes accumulated dirt on the edges easier to remove.
- Wide Cleaner Mouth – this feature makes cleaning up dry spills easy and quick.
- It has a very low base so it easily fits under counter edges and furniture.
- Extreme Recline Handle – reach far under furniture easily.
- Bottom Release Dirt Cup – lets you empty the cup easily.
- 2-year warranty – it is backed with a 2 year warranty.
- Excellent cleaning performance on bare floors.
- Excellent hair removal from your carpet.
- Automatic controls let you easily switch from cleaning the carpet to your floor.
- Washable filter
- You can effortlessly remove the battery and charge it while the vacuum is in storage.
- Easy to store out of sight
- Floor nozzle doesn’t swing easily and fully.
- Innovative Suction Technology – V shaped, it directs larger debris into the center suction path while the suction paths at the ends capture tiny particles.
- Swivel Head and Lightweight Design – it is equipped with a swivel head and lightweight design easily cleans around furniture legs.
- Easy Assembly – no more complicated instructions to figure out assembling your vacuum.
- Great for Pet Hair – provides ultimate suction power for better dirt and pet hair pick up.
- Bagless – you don’t have to change the vacuum’s bag because it is equipped with a bin/dirt cup that holds the dirt, pet hair and particles suctioned off.
- V-shaped nozzle pulls debris in
- Great for pet hair pickup
- Pointed nozzle ends great for corners
- 20-foot power cord
- No included attachments
- Noisier than most stick vacuums
- Simple Mode Selection – it has an easy to operate dial for vacuuming, washing and drying.
- Dual Tank Technology – keeps clean and dirty water separate.
- Multi-Purpose SpinScrub Technology – Exclusive Hoover patented counter-rotating brushes gently washes and scrub hard floors from all angles.
- Simple Storage – it has the advantage of the folding handle to eliminate storage clutter.
- SpinScrub Brushes – it provides a combined squeegee and suction to quickly dry. It is also removable for easy cleaning.
- 13″ Wide Cleaning Path – wide cleaning path covers more surface area and shortens cleaning time.
- Long quick-release Power Cord – lets you clean large rooms without unplugging
- It makes your floors cleaner and safer.
- It removes stubborn stains, spill, mess and dirt that damages delicate hardwood and tile floors.
- It makes cleaning hard to reach places and areas so easy.
- It is very portable and lightweight and comes with a long power cord.
- It saves you a lot of money in buying expensive vacuum bags since it is bagless.
- Cleaning the canister and water storage tanks can be quite difficult.
- Convenient for Home and Auto
- Controls are within reach of your fingers.
- Includes Blower Port
- Auto shut-off that protects against overheating
- Compact and Lightweight 12 amp canister
- Deluxe floor brush bare-floor nozzle
- Dusting brush, crevice tool, and upholstery nozzle
- Vacuums safely and completely cleans bare-floor surfaces
- The quick release power cord is 20 feet.
- You can easily store it because it is compact.
- It can pick up dust and pet hair easily.
- It has a triple filtration system bag.
- Limited 1 year warranty
- Lightweight and maneuverable
- Ideal for small spaces
- No HEPA filter
- VarioClip with Three Onboard Accessories allows maximum cleaning.
- Small and stainless steel wand gives a superior operating radius of almost 30 feet.
- The filter bag is Auto-Seal and instantly seals in dirt, dust and allergens.
- It is equipped with XXL handle that provides convenient and ergonomic use.
- The Six-Stage Suction Easily adjustable, rotary dial power selector ensures the correct level of power.
- The Combination Floor Tool effortlessly switches from smooth floors to carpeted areas.
- Exceptionally lightweight
- It has an Air Clean filter
- Equipped with dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice nozzle on VarioClip.
- It is very easy to carry and move from one area to another because it is lightweight.
- It has a low noise level so it works very quietly.
- You can easily clean high places its high extending wand which reaches up to 33 ft wide.
- Excellent in cleaning both hardwood and smooth floors.
- Very convenient and easy to operate because of its high-quality design.
- It can be difficult to use on thick carpets and area rugs.
- It does not have a power brush.
- Short cord length
- Expensive dust bags
Finding the perfect hardwood floor vacuum for you need not be a tedious task. Manufacturers of such vacuums are becoming more and more competitive. New models, better brands come out. And the prices are competitive too.