How to Identify and Fix Common Vacuum Problems ?
Our sources include academic articles, blog posts, and personal essays from experienced Vacuum Technicians :
WHY WON`T THE MACHINE PICK UP? The float in the dirty water tank may have been activated. Empty the dirty water tank and wait for the float to settle before re-starting the machine.
The superficial causes for your VAX vacuum shutting off during use can be from blockages along the hose and body of the model. There can also be a blockage caused by a build-up of dust, dirt, hair and debris across the models` brush bar.
Check to see if there is water in the water tank. If there isn`t, unscrew the water tank cap and use the filling flask to pour distilled water into the tank until it reaches the fill line. Replace the water tank cap and tighten. Power the device on, wait about 30 seconds for the water to heat up, and then try again.
Check to see if your clean water tank is empty. The clean water tank also may not be seated properly. The brush window could also not be latched into place. Turn off your machine and check to see if the brush window is secure.
It is recommended to clean this filter every time the bin is emptied – to clean the filter simply rinse it under some warm water and let it dry for 24 hours. It is very important to only fit the filter again once it is completely dry otherwise the vacuum cleaner may become damaged.
The rinse and spin cycle is just what it sounds like. It runs with no detergent and just rinses the clothes and spins the moisture out. This is ideal for cloth diapers or heavily soiled items that you may want to rinse before running a full wash on.
What`s happening with your vacuum cleaner is that a clog has built up and debris being agitated by the roller is spitting out or stirring up dust without sucking it in.
Why is the vacuum is blowing dusty air out of the back? Simple: the bag or canister is full and the vacuum has nowhere to store the dust it is collecting. Empty the canister or bag. If that doesn`t fix it, the vacuum filter needs to be cleaned or changed.
Check for a clogged hose or filter; unclog the hose and replace the filter. Wait 45 minutes for the vacuum to cool; then plug in the vacuum. Turn the power switch to the “I-On” position to start the vacuum. If the vacuum still does not start, contact Customer Service at 1-800-798-7398.
No and never. It doesn`t operate like a wet vacuum, all water will go thru the motor.
If you checked your brush roll, floor setting, and belt but your brush roll is still not spinning, that means you probably need a Shark micro switch replacement. This small switch tells the vacuums brush when to start spinning.
Just empty the water out of the tank after each use. Doing so will prevent leaking and extend the life of your filter.
Can you use other carpet shampoo solutions in a Vax machine? One of the most popular questions we get asked is if our carpet cleaning solutions can be used in a Vax machine. The answer – YES, they can!
How long is a wash cycle? A normal wash cycle usually takes between 50 minutes to an hour to complete. However, this time could be faster or slower depending on load size and the cycles or options you choose. That`s one of the reasons it`s important to know how to choose the right washer cycle.
“Rinse and Spin” vs “Drain and Spin”
It simply drains any excess water from the laundry and spins to dry the load out as much as possible. “Rinse and spin” does this too, but has an extra stage at the start, where water is added into the drum.
Spin: All the water is drained completely, then your clothes are spun very fast and excess water is removed thanks to centrifugal force.
The spin speed of a washing machine refers to the number of times the washing machine drum spins in one minute.
In many cases, the smoke you see is actually mechanical pump oil vapor. Many people tend to think that whenever there is smoke emitting from the pump, it means there is something wrong with the machine. But, oil vapor or oil mist is a natural by-product of creating vacuum in an oil sealed mechanical pump.
If the cleaner becomes noisy or starts vibrating, it may be because some debris has got tangled around the brush roll or agitator situated in the bottom of the cleaner.
How long do vacuum cleaners last? According to Consumer Reports, vacuum cleaners last a median of eight years. But the lifespan varies wildly by not only brand but your own personal use.
Signs of Vacuum Pump Leaks
Oil from the exhaust port running down the pump. Rumbling sounds coming from the pump. Repeated failure to reach maximum pressure for tasks. Mist or smoke coming from the exhaust section of the pump.
Typically, a vacuum leak will cause situations like hard starting, rough idle, excessive fuel consumption, and engine codes. You might even be able to hear a leak – sometimes a whooshing or whistling sound can be heard with the engine running.
The average life expectancy of a mid-range vacuum cleaner is about six years. You can fix or replace things like blocked filters, jammed brush rolls, frayed hoses, worn-out stick vac batteries and broken accessories yourself.
Bissell will spray water when set to water rinse, but as soon as it is set to light, normal, or heavy cleaning, there is no spray. I have tried priming but to no avail. I put plain water in the solution tank to test without ay success. It is like it loses it’s prime whenever you try to use a solution mix. Once you set it back to water rinse only and go through the priming steps, it is OK. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Please check the following with liquid in both tanks.
– Check to see if the machine will spray through the hose with the setting on tools. If it does, the pump is fine. Continue troubleshooting.
– Check for debris on spray tips. Clean them with a soft brush (on old tooth brush works well). The spray tips may be lifted out for easier access.
– Ensure the tank lid is properly attached to the bottom of the tank. To attach this properly, remove the Water Tank from the machine. Hook the front window onto the lip of the bottom container and then allow the window with lid to cover the complete tank. Secure the latch on the back of the bottom tank to the back of the tank lid. THE TANK LID CANNOT BE ATTACHED PROPERLY IF THE BOTTOM TANK IS ALREADY INSTALLED IN THE MACHINE.
– Check the bottom of the Water Tank and the Formula Tank to make sure each has a red auto-load gasket attached. Make sure the Water Tank and the Formula Tank are seated properly. Depress the x on this gasket to ensure this depresses and release back out. Liquid from the tank should dispense.
– Remove the handle completely and re-attach. Once the handle is re-attached, re-attempt to spray.
If the machine continues to not spray, check the following:
REMOVE THE COLLECTION TANK:
• Make sure the unit is set to water rinse
• Remove the smart mix bottle and fill it with water only
• Place the smart mix bottle into the collection tank reservoir
• Run the unit and try to spray. If the machine sprays, you will be able to see the water level decreasing in the smart mix bottle and you will need to replace the bottom tank. It is possibly warped.
If these suggestions do not resolve your issue, contact BISSELL Consumer Services.
Mon-Fri: 8am to 10pm ET
Sat: 9am to 8pm ET